Sunday, January 6, 2008

My Clee * warning. If you don't like sappy, move along and skip this post.*


In mid 2004, Clee and I were sitting in the Utah Valley Mental Health Center waiting room waiting to be seen for his first evaluation for autism. I remember being very nervous and scared to be there. The words "Why Clee?" ran threw my mind over, and over again as I watched him spin in circles next to the TV.
I needed something to distract my thoughts, so I walked over to the magazine rack to get the latest issue of "People weekly". I sat back down, and opened the magazine. A pink piece of paper fell from the middle and landed on my lap. It was a poem, an answer to my prayers.
After reading it, I cried like a big baby, and then put it back into the magazine for someone else who was going through similar trials to find it.
I had forgotten about this poem until recently stumbling across it again while reading the message boards on the autism speaks website.

You weren't like other children,
And God was well aware,
You'd need a caring family,
With love enough to share.

And so He sent you to us,
And much to our surprise,
You haven't been a challenge,
But a blessing in disguise.

Your winning smiles and laughter,
The pleasures you impart,
Far outweigh your special needs,
And melt the coldest heart.

We're proud that we've been chosen,
To help you learn and grow,
The joy that you have brought us,
Is more than you can know.

A precious gift from Heaven,
A treasure from above,
A child who's taught us many things,
But most of all - "Real Love"

3 comments:

Grandma Gerri said...

I'm a sap for sappy the poem fits Clee perfectly

chaffinclan said...

Very sappy. Very sweet. Clee's smile can melt anyone's heart.

Amanda said...

i love that you put it back for someone else! sweet pay it forward.