Thursday, May 21, 2009

You can always expect the worse when a cop comes knocking at your door

If you are easily offended, then this post probably isn't for you. If you like, about two posts down , there is a picture of MacGruber that might make you smile. Move along to that. 

9ish am. I hear sirens quickly approaching. Nothing out of the norm, right? Then they get really loud and suddenly stop. "Hmm. I wonder whats going on?" I think to myself. So being nosy me, I take a looksie out the kitchen window. I see a white truck, cop cars, and one person laying on the ground. No one was talking to the person on the ground, just staring. That can't be good. A moment later, a blue tarp was draped over the body. I can totally see this from my kitchen window, y'all. It's happening 50 feet away from my house. On a regular morning, the sidewalk off to the side of my house is busy with morning walkers. A lot of them are older, so I just assumed one of them had a heart attack. It was sad. But, that had to be it, right? I mean, I live in a pretty safe-ish neighborhood where ghetto business doesn't occur to my knowledge...right? 
Well as I was telling that to myself, a cop was blocking the street with crime scene tape. Soon after, a big forensics truck comes along. Thats when I decided to stop being so nosy and double check to see if my doors were locked. 
About five minutes later, someone is banging/ not knocking on my door. Andrew runs to the door and swings it open before I get a chance to get to the front hallway. In my defense, a lay-z-boy chair is very hard to get out of. All I could think of at this point was "Blah!!!! Holy freak! There's a killer lurking around in the trees behind my house!" Listen. I never said I wasn't overly dramatic. So I was a little panicked when Andrew swung that front door wide open, possibly letting the murderer into our home. Note to self: Have the "do not open door for starngers" talk with Andrew for the bagillionth time. 
Luckily, it wasn't a bad guy coming to kill us, it was a crime investigator. He asked me a series of questions like, where were you about 45 minutes ago? Did you hear any gun shots? Did you happen to see anything out of the ordinary? Did you happen to see anyone acting unusual around the neighborhood? Did you happen to smell any strange odors 45 minutes ago or later? 
I didn't see or hear anything. I did smell a strange odor, but it was only Andrew... what?
In all seriousness, I will keep the loved ones of the person who lost their life today in my prayers. 
 
So what are the lessons I learned today? Life is fragile. Keep my doors locked at all times. And to stop being so darn nosy, because you don't always want to know what's going on right in your own backyard. 


14 comments:

Betty Boop said...

Good grief! What's going on in the south these days!! Be safe, yo!!!

Sweet Pea said...

I wouldn't call that freaking out... but I have been told I am a worrier(mom). But I would totally freak out if some dude came up to me and asked if I heard any gun shots...:(

Grandma Gerri said...

WHOA Scary. Was Andrew full of questions after the officer left?

Meg said...

That is a little freaky! Stay safe!

natalie said...

Here's the update. My stalker neighbor informed me that he went over to the crime scene got a good looooonnnggg look at body. He says there were no signs of foul play that he tell, and the man most likely died of a heart attack. He's not exactly sure, the police took down his info and asked him to leave. So all is well again back in the dirty south. I think.

Kalena said...

Oh my gosh! That is sooo sad :(

Tice said...

I personally loved the description of the crime scene investigator that you gave me over the phone.

And you? Stop bein' nosy? Hmm...I dunno about that. :)

Betsy said...

Don't stop being nosy...just think...if you were MORE nosy, you may have seen what happened!

I guess you've had your excitement for one day!

Poor guy! :(

The Sanders Family said...

What's with these 'safe' streets being not so safe anymore? We had a high speed chase up then back down our street in W.V. And we even have to worry about our kids being abducted out of our own homes! This world is crappy when you can't relax in your own home and yard and just let our kiddies play.

Sally Sirmans said...

Yikes, y'all.

Karen said...

Wow, life is exciting on your side of town! Glad to know that he was murdered! WHEW!

Elaine said...

We assume he was driving and had a heart attack. He was a hero if he was able to get the truck off the road and not run into anybody or anything.

Kim and Stace said...

whoa! my internet has been down for a few days, so I first heard this story from Amelia and I was anxious to read it! Crazy...and yes, that is very good to know that he wasn't murdered...knowing that will surely help you sleep a little better than if you thought it was foul play!

kristi said...

That is scary!