Monday, August 31, 2009

assignment: sweetness

Emme brought home a brown paper bag this afternoon. It's for a special assignment that's due tomorrow. She's supposed to bring the bag back to school filled with her three favorite things. This was an assignment Emme was delighted to work on. I watched her search the house for her three favoritest of favorites. First, the Camp Rock mp3 player, that is for her love for music. Next she put a tiny stuffed dog in the bag, for her love for animals, of course. I have to be honest with you, by the time she was on to finding her third favorite thing to put in the bag, I was off making sure Clee wasn't breaking the portable dvd player he has become infatuated with.
I had totally forgotten about it until daddy came home later this evening. I asked her what her third and final favorite thing was. She looked at me, grinned and said "...well can I bring my family?"... melt my heart and call me a puddle full of lovely happiness. How did she come to be so darn suh-weet?? My mom recalls me being a mischievous yet darling youngin' and I've heard the horror stories from Fiel's youth. So how did two rotten youngin's create such a sweet and thoughtful little girl?
After we ruled out the reality of all five of us fitting into the small brown bag, I suggested she take in a photograph. It had to be a good picture of Clee. He had to be smiling, at her request. It's the moments like these I cherish and want to hold on to. Because one day, in her teenage years, she'll won't admit we are her favoritest of favorites. And we most likely won't be, well Fiel, Andrew, and I anyway. But we'll always have her third grade assignment. What more could this mom ask for?

8 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so sweet. Daughters are awesome and I don't like to think about the days when they grow up either.

Grandma Gerri said...

She is a sweetie isn't she. But mom I was there you were a sweetheart too. and you both have your moments. All of your children have their sweet side even Andrew. Emme never ceases to amaze me. Good job Emme.

Betsy said...

Yes...very sweet! But I want to know how many pictures she took before she got a good one of everyone...AND with Clee smiling! (I'm not sure we have a family pic like that..ever! ha!)

Tice said...

How *did* you two conceive such a thoughtful and sweet child? Ha. I joke, sort of.

Miss Em is filled with sweetness and makes the perfect big sister.

ps-What picture did she end up using?

crissy said...

That's like the cherry-on-top, icing, cake, and getting to lick the batter covered spoon all rolled into one giant ball of perfection and wonderfulness.
And you never know, she just might carry this deep and delicious love for you guys forever. Just because someone is in their teen years doesn't mean they are stereotypical-can't-stand-my-family-nobody-likes-me-everybody-hates-me-the-world-is-against-me-I'm-right-and-you're-wrong-teenager.
I hope she will always remember this assignment, and what she wanted to take, too.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Living with three teenagers and a wanna be teenager...and that's all I'm going to say about that!
Enjoy the sweetness!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Living with three teenagers and a wanna be teenager...and that's all I'm going to say about that!
Enjoy the sweetness!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Living with three teenagers and a wanna be teenager...and that's all I'm going to say about that!
Enjoy the sweetness!