Friday, August 14, 2009

celebrating Clee

As I mentioned in the previous post, Clee turns 7 years old on Monday. I had the genius idea that it would be fun to share with blogland a daily post dedicated to Clee until his big day. Enjoy!

Clee loved the Wiggles in his toddler stage. What better way to celebrate our Clemon turning two, then by throwing him a Wiggles party? He had a great time playing with the wrapping and tissue paper, paying no mind to the presents they colorfully covered. Clee had been officially diagnosed with autism one week prior to his Birthday, so it was the talk of the party. I didn't mind, but I remember it being very hard not to break into tears when someone came up to me and asked how he was doing.
I remember a friend of my former {?} uncle {who was celebrating his Birthday with Clee} asking me if I could ever look at Clee the same way ever again in a somewhat distasteful manner. My reply was: Clee was still the boy I gave birth to, the one that smiles at me every morning when I come to get him out of his bed, the one who hides between my legs when he is scared, the child I adore, and his diagnoses does not nor never will change that. So there. Ha! I really didn't say that last part, but I should have.
That was the first but certainly not the last time I've ever had to stick up for my son. I told my mom later that night about the conversation, knowing that if I had told her at the party, she would have given that party goer a good talking to.

Well on a lighter note. Clee wanted cake. The poor boy had his eyes on it the entire night, sneaking fingers of frosting when no one was looking. Finally the boy got what he wanted after having to sit through everyone singing Happy Birthday. He hated that.


Clee's going in for the first taste test.



Wait for it...



Wait for it...



almost there...



you're so close...





ha! Did I mention he didn't know how to use a fork?
This picture documents my favorite moment from that party.
Clee might have been newly diagnosed autism, but in this picture he is a typical two year old boy who couldn't consume his cake fast enough.

2 comments:

Grandma Gerri said...

That picture is my second favorite. My favorite is when he gave me a big hug and kiss the the frosting and cake still all over his hands and face. I really think he was trying to clean them off with out my noticing.

Tice said...

I love him.