Monday, August 3, 2009


I do heart this. Clee's been receiving weekly visits to the occupational therapist since July. The OT and I have been discussing his sensory needs at every visit, each one more detailed then the last. This picture reminds me of the visit he had today. I was called into the room where Clee and a few OT's were swinging. They said he wouldn't let them near him when it was time for the brushing therapy. We have been trying to find ways to reduce his loud hand stimming. The brushing therapy has never worked in the past, but no harm in trying again, right?
They asked me to take the brush and show it to him. I gladly did so. I held the brush in one hand, his hand in the other. His eyes were locked on mine as if we was trying to figure out if we were on the same page. If it was really okay to touch the brush. "We're on this road together, bud. Come on. Please try it..." I said to him as he slowly reached his arm out for me to brush it. Now. He didn't like it. At all. He hated it actually, but he tried it. That's all I asked for. He knows as well as I do that we are on this road together as a family, and we're not afraid to take it one step at a time.

The brushing did indeed help for a little over 45 minutes, ps. If when something has failed you once, and you're running out of other options. You must try, try it again.

5 comments:

april said...

love this!!! love the poster!!! love the experience!!! love clee!!! love you!!!

(excuse, i mean lurve you guys!)

Meg said...

You. Are. Amazing. Keep up the hard mommy work. I admire the mom you are to that little Clee. What a lucky kid to have gotten you.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

I'm so proud. Sigh.

Grandma Gerri said...

I love you both (and all) keep up the great work

Tice said...

My Clemon. He's so cute. I could just eat him up with a spoon. Give him a kiss for me.