Friday, August 21, 2009

just one step closer to oldhagsville

I was at the mall today looking for a gift for Stevie the 1st Birthday boy, when I decided to browse through a store called Forever21.
I am too old to be shopping there for my own self, ps.

I was just about to leave when my eyes locked on this:


Aw man.

A Nirvana shirt.

This shirt took me back to when I was a simple teenager, wearing plaid button down shirts from the Gap, and discovering my love for grunge rock. I had to get this shirt, I thought to myself. How cool of a mom would I be wearing this shirt around town with my kids in tow? I started to look for my size and after browsing through all 15 shirts that were all size XS, I realized today was not the day that me and my inner teenaged self would reunite.

sigh.

I was just about to walk away when I overheard two teenage girls talking about how rad the shirt I so desperately wanted was.

Now.

Get.

This.

Right after they stated how rad it was, they went on to say:

"Nirvana is the ultimate definition of brillz {brilliant} classic rock..."

???

... Did I not get the memo saying that Nirvana was now in the same category as The Who?

Am I going to turn to the local classic rock station and hear the sounds of "Teen Spirit" instead of "The Seeker"?

Is this what my mom felt like when the beloved sounds of her youth were starting to be referred to as the classics?

Were these two girls just completely deranged?


Lemme ask the fellow teens of the 90's:

How does this make you feel?


ps: Birthday pics from Clee's big day are on the way. Soonish.


6 comments:

Grandma Gerri said...

Yes

Sally Sirmans said...

Welcome to oldhagsville. We've been here a while.

Tice said...

I remember hearing Nirvana for the first time. I was in sixth grade at McKinley Middle Magnet School. And somebody showed me the album cover with the baby's weenis on it. Scandalous. *sigh* We's gettin' old.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Well it's about time. Sheesh.

The Sanders Family said...

So glad to hear you were in that store the same weekend as me. Kyle hated that I made him walk all over the biggest forever 21 in San Fran. Good old days when I could wear anything in that store...

Ana said...

dont you want to sell it to me? ~