Wednesday, August 19, 2009

running away

What would you do if your youngest child fired you from being his mom and said he was moving away? Would you...

a) get your feelings hurt?

b) ignore his rant and rave?

Or

c) show him to the door, and send him on his way with these last loving words: It's been a good four and half years, bud. We'll miss you.


I choose to go with C. I think he was shocked, actually. First he made it to the end of the front porch stairs where is saw a big beetle. He rang the door bell and asked me to kill it. My reply was: Gee. I wish I could, but you fired me, remember? He found a way to get around that big beetle. It took him a good ten minutes to walk down the driveway after that. He stopped in the middle of our lanes circle and stared at the house for a few minutes. I opened the door and stood in the doorway. He came running back to me, told me he was sorry, that I was rehired, and he didn't have any money or a car to go anywhere anyway. What.A.Relief.

8 comments:

Betsy said...

That is TOO CUTE! :)

Grandma Gerri said...

I think you handled that right good job mom!

tice said...

This sounds remarkably similar to a conversation that happened, the other day, between me and Tycen. Only he was screaming, "You're not a good mom! You're not coming to my birthday party next year!" and we were at Target.

Amanda said...

That is adorable. I love your blog posts! Andrew is so funny!

Sally Sirmans said...

Creative parenting. I love it!

crissy said...

A bit unorthodox, but creative for sure. I think I'll keep this in mind in case any of my little ones ever try to pull that one on me.

Meg said...

You are the greatest mom ever! I love how you used that reverse psychology on him. Way to go Natalie. That deserves a WOOT WOOT!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Been there. Done that. More than once. Works like a charm.