Tuesday, September 8, 2009

not to get political or anything...

but I still don't know what all the hullaballoo was all about over the President's speech to our children. This is not me sharing my political views, so please don't attempt to have a debate with me, comment style, okay?
I'm just sayin', if the ploy was to "brainwash" the children, this is my example:

Me: what did the president have to say today?

Emme: To do good in school, do your homework, pay attention in class, be inspired...

Me: That all?

Emme: uh... that's all that stuck out.


Well... that seems to be the same thing I tell her. But then again, I am the dictator according to my family. Hehe.
To read the speech, click here.




8 comments:

LINDSEY said...

Yeah, but don't you wanna get on the I-Feel-Personally-Hurt-By-Obama train?? Just kidding. I didn't even know the President gave a speech to our kiddos...that's how super politically aware I am. :)

[ P . t ] said...

I think it's inspiring that he does something like that. You don't see the Prime Minister over here doing anything remotely the same, then again he doesn't do much else either. =P

Grandma Gerri said...

My point exactly.

Betsy said...

The uproar wasn't about giving a speech, it was about the initial idea to have the kids sign a pledge to support the president AND his policies. The White House scrapped that part after some people objected.

And the speech was absolutely fine!

natalie said...

@ Betsy: Some people in my town opted to keep their kids at home today, to keep them from hearing the president's speech. I would assume that if they were protesting it, they also took the time to read the speech yesterday {like myself} and knew that the questioner had been taken out of todays happenings.

The speech was fine, wasn't it. :)

meg said...

I agree with you Nat. I watched his speech today....basically just a motivational speaker that happens to be the president. No biggie.

Tice said...

All I know is that between the fact that I don't do politics and the fact that I don't watch TV, the only way I knew about this speech was the three pieces of green paper sent home from the kids' school. I believe it said something like, "The President is giving a speech...your kids won't be viewing it Tuesday...if teachers choose to view it later they'll have to send home permission slips to be signed..."

Sheesh.

Brittany said...

Thanks for posting the link to the speech. I'm not a big Obama fan, but I thought that speech was really good.