Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Today whilst in the waiting room during Clee's occupational therapy appointment, I was treated to a sermon about Adam and Eve by a child no older than 8 years old. He was amazing! He recited scriptures, using huge hand gestures, and even threw in a "can I get an amen??" a time or two. He was doing all of this while keeping his eyes on the empty chair between his mother and I.
I thought this kids was the bees knees!
I told his mom how great I thought he was. Beaming with delight she told me his dad was a preacher. She giggled. She told me her son Jack was diagnosed with autism at age 3 and became echolalic (which basically means he repeats things that he hears) around age 5. I briefly told her about Clee and how he was nonverbal. Both boys very different from one another, and yet diagnosed with the same disorder, autism. Spectrum disorder indeed.
Clee's appointment ended soon after that. As usual, I picked him up like he was my enormous two year old started for the door when Jack's mother looked at me and said "we are very blessed, aren't we?" After looking at Clee with his smiley face looking right back, I humbly replied "Yes. Very blessed."

6 comments:

Kim & Stace said...

LOVE. Can I have him too? Come onnnn... :) What a blessing he is to anyone who gets to meet him; and what a special person his mommy must be to have been given the opportunity to be the mother of a real-life angel among us...

Grandma Gerri said...

Can I get an AMEN to that!

Brittany said...

What a sweet little experience.

Betsy said...

Awww...yes, we are! :)

Meg said...

So cute! I am blessed to have met Clee!

chaffinclan said...

"Can I get an Amen?" is classic. I think we should use it more often to spice up our own church lives, no?