Wednesday, May 26, 2010


Me: Uh oh... You just woke up Pink kitty. She's angry and wants to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

Andrew: No! Please don't!

What the hay, right? That's what you're thinking, I just know it. Allow me explain.

Have you ever used a threat to get your child to do, or not to do something? It can be a threat like, no dessert, no tv, early bedtime, etc. Mine is pink kitty. She only makes an appearance on special occasions ie when none of the said things work on Andrew's badittitude.

Pink kitty started last December when my kids received a make your own sock puppet kit filled with socks. After the kids made a plethora of sock puppets, there was one lonely sock left- a pink one. Naturally I put it on my hand, told Andrew she was an angry kitty, chased Andrew around the house, meowing, and hissing at him along the way. He was terrified. I knew then I had struck gold. And so began the threat of the Pink kitty.
We lost the pink sock back in February. Not to lose such an awesome behavioral tool, I told Andrew someone accidentally shaved her fur off and she's madder than the mad hatter. This of course only makes him more terrified.

Pink kitty had to come out today at the doctors office, when he kept jumping off the doctors stool and loudly announcing toots are funny. You bet your bippy he sat quietly for the remainder of the visit.

You might think I'm cruel. I think I'm a friggin' genius.

7 comments:

Lindsey Montague said...

Nat, I literally have to cover my mouth to stop the loud laughter so I don't get all the questions from my 4-year-old!!!

Thanks, as usual, for making my day.

Brittany said...

Yeah, I laughed out loud at that one. I say whatever works. You're too funny, Natalie.

sorichfamily said...

David and I just had the best laugh! I was crying and my heart is swollen with love for such a creative lady! I might have to borrow that kitty of yours! So clever and so well written!

Meeeeeoooow!

Grandma Gerri said...

Poor Andrew. I wish I had thought of something like that with you. You are a genius, I bow to you.

My verification word is sally, maybe I got on at the wrong time.

Tice said...

I think you should write a parenting book. And I'd like to request an autographed copy please.

Ramsey said...

haha! We threaten Beck with being dad's hat. LOL! Once he gets him up there on his head Beck does nothing but scream. The threat works well :)

Lindsey Montague said...

But you have to name the book:

Parenting with Pink Kitty