Monday, May 17, 2010

you can't always get what you want... andrew thinks that's silly nonsense

It's always a struggle to get Andrew ready for school, mainly because he doesn't want to go. Today was no different except instead of chilling out right before we pull into parent drop-off, he continued to be unreasonable- a big old J Dog (our family name for jerk), actually. As soon as we pulled up to the drop-off he hid under the back row of the van. His teacher tried to coax him out of the car while I threatened him with precious video game time. He wouldn't budge. I had to climb in the back, and pick him up kicking and screaming while a huge line of cars watched the dramatic entrance into school by Andrew. I was so embarrassed. No wait, I was livid.

As soon as I got home, I hid both the wii and the DS. He is grounded from anything Nintendo related until further notice.

3 hours later when I picked him up, he was in a chipper mood. He even made it a point to tell me he was. We were listening to one of our new favorite songs, You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones when he asked me if he could play the wii as soon as we got home. When I told him his behavior this morning lost him his gaming privileges for the day, he looked at me like he was plotting his revenge. "You know what, mom? This song has made you mean... I don't like it anymore. I wish it said You Can Always Get What You Want. If it weren't for this song, I'd be able to play the wii." He said in his angry voice.

Perhaps he's right. Maybe the song has influenced me. Or maybe he needed to learn the wrath of mama isn't a force to be reckoned with. It's debatable.

5 comments:

Meg said...

I can SO hear this whole converstation in my head. How did the rest of that day go, by the way. ;)

Grandma Gerri said...

Do NOT turn into your mama and relent like I usually did. I'm amazed at your restraint and very proud of you. About the manners you are going to teach him from a previous post this should diffenantly go on the list. Andrew, Andrew, Andrew.

annie said...

Andrew is h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!!!! smart kid, a little too smart if you ask me.

Tice said...

You can't always get what you want. It's a tough lesson. I still have a difficult time with that one sometimes. And I'm 6 times as old as he is.

Brittany said...

Warner and Andrew, two peas in a pod. Warner hates doesn't like going to school either. He sometimes loses his wii and DS time as well. Funny boys ... Warner tells me that he's going to get daddy to give me a spanking for being mean to him.