Wednesday, October 27, 2010


Me: ... what about a Blue's Clue's party?
Andrew: Mom! I don't want a Blue's Clues party. Blue's Clues is for babies.


Whoa there. Wait just a second. You are a baby, aren't you? Sadly my baby- a kindergartener is not a baby anymore. I've had to come to terms with that recently. I can't describe the feeling, but I can tell you I did cry a little.
Even though I was joking about having a Blue's Clues party for his less than a month away 6th Birthday, Blue's Clues was once his obsession. The first one to be exact. I can vividly see him clutching on to his little red notebook, sitting in his "finking shair" (thinking chair), playing with his eyelashes, always having trusty bink in the corner of his mouth (you know, so he could talk) like it was yesterday. His little voice singing " still down in my finking shair and fink. Fink. Fiiiiink" still pulses through my ears clear as a bell. Man was he cute singing that song...

Andrew in his finking shair circa early 2007.

But alas it wasn't yesterday. It was more like four years ago. It doesn't seem that long ago when I was clearing the party store shelves of Blue's Clues notebook party favors so we could have a stash on hand. We stored those away like they were binkys. He always had to have one in his hand. He was a constant finker. I remember longing for the day we could kick the notebook habit, and when it happened every single notebook got kicked to the curb.
Today I'm kicking myself for not keeping just one of the countless notebooks he drew his clues on. Blast my sporadic impulses to throw things away.
You know he might say Blue's Clues is for babies, but he checked out a Blue's Clues book from the library not too long ago. And his inner finker enjoyed every page of it.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Awww...can't believe he's gonna be 6!!!

I still love Blue's Clues!

Meg said...

When is his b-day? I saw ghostbuster PJ's the other day and thought of Andrew.

Grandma Gerri said...

I thought I commented on this one too. hmmmm. A picture from this same day came up on my computer at work yesterday. He was just so cute about his obsessions even back then. I love Blues Clues I guess that makes me a baby.

Elaine said...

I thought I already commented, too! I remember that cute little boy when he loved Blue's Clues - it made us all love that show!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

ToysRUs advertised a 4 figure Ghostbuster collection set. Just FYI...