Tuesday, April 19, 2011


Early this morning my grandmother, Natalie passed from her earthly body and entered into heaven with a big smile on her face. If that's not a sure sign of afterlife, then I don't know what is.
I felt it from the moment I woke this morning, and when I saw my mom's name across the phone screen this morning I knew why she was calling. She was gone. She's at peace.
She had been struggling for a few months now, and she was ready to be in peace. Though I was able to fly out to Utah for a day a few weeks ago to say goodbye, thanks to Elaine and CF's generosity, I couldn't prepare myself for how I feel right now. I'm not going to sugar coat it- I'm hurting. I can't stop crying. I'm terribly sad. Sad for Emme because she thought for sure she'd see her Great Grandma this summer. Sad for Andrew who for months now has been saying he needs to go see her. Sad for Clee because who else is he gonna get his big barrel of Red Vine Licorice from? Sad for me because I today I lost the most cutest grandma ever.
A few of her last words to me were, I love you more then you could ever know. I told her I felt the same way. I spent my last afternoon with my Grandma watching The Importance Of Being Earnest, occasionally resting my hand in hers, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Today I'll think about Ice Capades, Sequoia Redwoods, british comedy, Colin Firth (whom we shared a crush on) and Singing In The Rain, because they all remind me of her. And tonight the whole neighborhood will be in for a real treat when the kids and I sing I Love You A Bushel And A Peck as loud as we can because it's the song she sang to each of us when we were all babies.
Grandma Natalie, was an amazingly strong and wonderful person. The memories and love for the woman I will forever admire will always remain. The earth lost one of it's finest spirits today, and today heaven gained one.



We love you, Grandma. God be with you 'til we meet again.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so sorry, Natalie. I know she means a lot to you. Until you meet again, indeed:) She looks like she has the spunk you do:)

(PS:I love Andrew's mischievous look in that pic:)

Sally Sirmans said...

I'm so sorry, my Natalie. Thinking of you. Losing Papa Rex and Granny Sirmans changed me forever. You will be forever changed as well. I bet Clee will start seeing her and talking to her. She can watch over your cute family. Love you.

Betsy said...

Awww...BIG hugs! So sorry. xo

And wasn't she a beauty!

Lindsey Montague said...

Natalie I am so sorry for your loss, and that of your family's. Your tribute to her brought tears to my eyes, as it brings back memories of my sweet Grandma Helen who set my standard on what a gramma should be.

My thoughts are with you.

Grandma Gerri said...

Thank you so much for this tribute to Mom I could not have said it as beautifully as you have. When I saw her get that great big smile I knew she was going home where there is no more pain and she is with her parents and siblings once again and preparing our way. We will all miss her but knowing she is free from her frail body and pain gives me peace. I love you Mom. Love all of you too. Tell the kids Great Grandma is watching over them now.

Karen said...

Sorry you had to lose her so early in your children's life, she sounds like such a sweetheart...but sounds like she was ready and happy to go. glad you shared a picture of her, she is very pretty.

mama boss said...

I'm so sorry. :( Your tribute was beautiful, and then your moms comment above threw me over the edge. I know my tears cannot ease your pain, but I'll offer my condolences, anyway.
It is so hard to lose a beloved grandparent, but death is part of life. You will see your grandmother again, and it will be a glorious reunion. Until then, I'm sure she'll be watching over and looking out for you, free from earthly struggles and pains. :)

Meghan said...

My thoughts are with you, your mom and your kids. I know how hard it can be to lose a grandma that was awesome! I still miss mine years and years later. You will get through it darling! You are an amazingly strong woman and it sounds like you got a lot of your traits from your cutie grandma Natalie. Let me know if you need anything...or your mom.

Elaine said...

A very moving tribute! I've met your grandmother and she is an example for us all. She has gone through hard times but yet was always positive and smiling. She had a very happy reunion in heaven.