Tuesday, July 5, 2011


Clee loves his Cars and when we saw that Cars 2 was coming out this summer I wanted to take him, but then reality sank in. He's loud at times, the silence in golden rule really doesn't go with our style.
About a month ago Emme's 4th grade teacher sent me an email about autism friendly movies that AMC theaters were showing monthly. Low and behold Cars 2 was one of those movies. We stocked up on treats and went on Saturday. He was a little hesitant to go in the theater at first but when we broke out the Mike and Ike's he settled right down. Candy works wonders for this child.
He sat really well throughout the movie and seemed to really enjoy it. It was nice having a public family outing where we actually fit in. He made some noises, but so did a lot of other kids. There were no stares or glares, just not so typical families partaking in a typical family activity. Being able to take him to a movie that he really enjoys without the stranger judgement makes me happy. It's the little things in life.

4 comments:

Grandma Gerri said...

I am so glad that he could enjoy this with all of you on the big screen. Way to go AMC!!!!

Betsy said...

How very wonderful!!!! I can completely relate to this times three. We would love to do things as a family but there just isn't any way! I wonder if they have autism friendly movies here? I need to check this out! :)

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

I love. love. love. the tea party pictures. The one of Karen cracks me up. Can't wait to see you in August!

Lindsey said...

How fun!! And also, I still super love your blog. Please never stop blogging. Your entries always either make me laugh, say "yeah--exactly!!", or touch me in some way. Go Natalie!